Hollywood Jahilliya

Democracy, whiskey, sexy.

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I'm an old-school liberal, like FDR or, heck, even Trotsky if I'm feeling generous. That is, I recognize a fascist enemy when I see one, and I treat it like an enemy. It's my mission (self-appointed, of course) to convince other Hollywood liberals to do the same.

19 April 2006

Too Soon? Why?

I've been rather busy, so it took a while for reports of reactions to the trailer for United 93 to reach me. I must say, I'm baffled and embarrassed that my fellow Angelinos cried "Too soon!" during it.

Too soon? Why? We've had Fahrenheit 9/11 and Syriana, only one of which admitted it was a work of fiction, and both of which got the politics exactly backwards. We've had Munich and Paradise Now, both fine films worthy of much praise in many ways, but that both whitewashed or humanized terrorists in some way. Few people raised a stink, and many lifted voices of approval.

But now we get a true story that depicts homicidal mass murderers and their crimes in an accurate light, and it's "too soon"?

I say it's about darned time. I'll leave it to director Paul Greengrass to remind us why:

"[the passengers of Flight 93] could see exactly what they were dealing with – and were faced with a dreadful choice. Do we sit here and do nothing and hope for the best, hope it turns out all right? Or do we do something about it? And if so, what can we do?"

It seems to me that those are the two choices that face us today and have faced us ever since that day."

Read the review. Hirsen is dead wrong about many things "liberal" (OK, most things), but on this one he's dead right. It hurts to admit that, but it's true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  • Ain't It Cool News
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Christopher Hitchens
  • Cinematical
  • Dark Horizons
  • David Aaronovitch
  • Defamer
  • DhimmiWatch
  • Gates of Vienna
  • Harry's Place
  • Hollywood Reporter
  • Huffington Post
  • Infidel Blogger's Alliance
  • Internet Movie Database
  • Iraq The Model
  • Irshad Manji: Muslim Refusenik
  • JihadWatch
  • Johann Hari
  • Michael J. Totten
  • Nick Cohen
  • Norman Geras
  • The Truman Project
  • Unite Against Terror
  • Wonkette